With spring officially making its arrival today, visions of new blooms and sunshine are dancing around my mind. Here are some seasonal living ideas to help you think spring.
Spring food picks
- Dandelion greens are best enjoyed in the spring when they are young and less bitter and, hello, did someone say free food?! I know it sounds strange, but surprisingly they are extremely rich in nutrients. You can enjoy them raw in salads or cook them. Quick safety tips, only grab them from yards that are not treated with pesticides or fertilizers and also away from roadways where they can pick up pollutants.
- Asparagus is coming into season and is of course delicious so now’s the time to grab some and grill it up. Here is a great recipe to enjoy asparagus with cranberries and pine nuts https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/174361/asparagus-with-cranberries-and-pine-nuts/
- Here is my dietitian brain at work, dandelion (especially the root) and asparagus happen to be a couple of the best sources of inulin, a prebiotic fiber that may make you feel fuller longer!
- Strawberries and rhubarb together in a pie…need I say more?! Here’s a lovely recipe if you plan to make it yourself http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/249889/strawberry-rhubarb-pie/ or pick up a fresh made pie from a local pie shop. We are planning to grab one from the Grand Traverse Pie Company!
Spring fun picks
With spring being a time of rebirth, here are a few renewal themed choices that center on simplicity:
- Watch the sun rise
- Open up the windows and let the fresh air flow in (I’m especially excited for this one!)
- Stop to smell the flowers
- Sit outside and bird watch
- Try out a yoga class
- Stroll your local downtown for “new to you” hidden gems