With the holiday season on the horizon, I’m ready to get my bake on! Like many, you may have a holiday tradition centered on baking for the holidays. So isn’t it nice that 4 pound boxes of Graceland fruit cranberries and cherries are now available at Meijer! Here’s why I love this: Dried fruit is a great and easy way to enhance nutrient density. Enhancing the nourishing capacity of baked goods helps us eat in balance. One specific food component that is important to emphasize are the antioxidants. Eating a mix of these protective compounds each day can offer the cells great protection in the body. There are so many different types of antioxidants and each have distinct benefits in the body.
When speaking specifically about the anthocyanin in tart cherries they may offer the following benefits:
- Cardio protective and may reduce the risk of heart disease
- Anti-inflammatory and may decrease inflammation in the body
- May help with muscle recovery after a workout
- Flavor! These hit the taste buds in a way that provide a sweet sensation similar to candy. Except, unlike candy, the offer the body nutrients so I can feel good about adding them to your baked snacks.
- Conveinience. Buying the big box saves me trips to the grocery store. And extra time is as good as gold!
Your super fruit sidekick, Tara MS, RDN, CDE